Saturday, July 23, 2011

Here we go!

At long last, the beginning of my journey has finally begun. As I sit here in the San Antonio airport, waiting for the first leg of my 35 hour flight, I can't help but feel a sense of excitement and relief that the Lord has faithfully brought me this far...it's hard to believe it.

As I stayed up all night (to adjust for Kolkata's app. 12 hour time difference) with my fiance and a couple of close friends, the tension of the moment slowly crept up on me. Fortunately, by God's grace and through my friends prayers, that tension has just as quickly passed and I feel a deep sense of God's presence and the lightheartedness of feeling at peace in His will. It is wonderful to know that Jesus is with us and, indeed, goes before us. Who else can we say that of?

I do not know what to expect once I reach the city, but that is ok. I have known for a long time that Jesus did not call me here to "have everything under control", and it is nice to feel at peace with that which is now reality. Aside from the occasional anxiety, there is great freedom in it.

I was encouraged yesterday when I felt the lord leading me to Luke 10:38-42. In it, we find Jesus at the home of two women; one, frantically preparing and agonizing over the demands of the moment; the other, sitting (unforgiveably unaware of the other's strivings) at the feet of Jesus, listening to His words. My mind and natural tendencies are currently racing to "prepare" for the perceived demands at hand, while I feel Jesus nudging me toward peace and listening. Thank goodness. Would you pray that I be a listener, rather than a "preparer", for this trip? If I manage to be still, I know Jesus will fill in the details of the the Father's will and His voice will be food for my soul, regardless of what challenges I encounter in the city.

I can't wait to see the people I will come to know and love over these next several days. I can't wait to see my soccer boys from three years ago. I can't wait to see Jesus in all the ways I know he will manifest Himself in the lives of the poor of the city. Praise God that He is up to something big, and pray that He does a mighty work through me that reflects His hope for the people He so dearly loves in Kolkata.

I will be in touch soon! Please continue to praying for big things, and that the trip continues to go on without any glitches! Please offer up praise to the Lord that He has taken care of everything thus far, and will continue to do so.

Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment